Those who enjoy my insanity..........

Friday, August 14, 2009

Teaching him right and VGNO

My oldest son has always had in interest in the kitchen since he was very little. He has always wanted to help mix, stir and test what ever I'm cooking. Now that he's old enough I think it's time for him to learn how to actually "make" something.

It would be a comfort to know that when he grows up he can fend for himself and actually make a meal that doesn't consist of puncturing the plastic and cooking for 3 minutes on high!

We started out simple................scrambled eggs. After showing him the process I know he felt proud that he was able to do it. Now I just hope he doesnt think that he can just cook whenever he would like. He still has to be supervised! Now on to things that are more adult Friendly! TGIF and you know what that means......It's time for a Virtual Girls Night Out! Ann will be our host this evening, so go check her out at Ann again and again. She is reminiscing about the good old days, so I think I can come up with something to reminisce about........

First I need a drink, anyone up for a Naranjita? What is that you ask? Well here you go..........Enjoy. 1 oz. Light puerto rican rum
2-3 oz ginger ale
1 oz orange juice orange slices for garnish
carambola fruit (star fruit) for garnish
Ice
Combine all ingredients in highball glasses and garnish w/ orange and carambola.
Why is it when you want to remember something that nothing really special comes to mind? Oh well, sorry, maybe I will come up with something while blog hopping tonight! Have a wonderful weekend!




11 comments:

  1. Oh, you are a great mommy! That is something wonderful to teach someone. : ) Hopefully he will grow into a productive male! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest who is 9 thinks that it is her kitchen. Although i would love to let it be because I hate cooking, she still scares me to death with the knives. I think letting the kids help cook and teaching them young is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes.. you are a good mom, as the boy may meet a girl who doesn't cook someday!

    Happy VGNO, and that drink does sound good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 8 yr old loves to cook too! Kind of scary but she's learning a lot!

    Yummy sounding drink!

    Happy VGNO! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know why you can't remember!!!! Momnesia!

    I have a bad case of that myself--you can read all about it here (if you remember to do it!).

    http://secretsofasuburbansoccermom.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-have-momnesia-how-about-you.html

    It turns out an author who wrote a book with the same title liked my post--put a link to my site from hers and also drew a cartoon of #17 on my list of momnesia symptoms. That was definitely the high point of my week. :)

    Happy VGNO and I hope you have a great weekend.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That drink is my kind of drink. Please pour me a glass! Yummy!

    Those eggs probably tasted better than any he's ever had! :)

    Happy VGNO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy VGNO, the drink looks yummy. I love ginger ale, never thought of mixing with rum! Carambola remind me of our vacations to St Croix!

    My 12 yo GIRL has no interest in the kitchen... she would rather have some one else (me) cook for her!


    My ATWT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please pass me one of those drinks - they sound yummy!!

    Very cool that you're teaching your son how to cook - I can't wait until Princess Nagger is old enough to let her go to town - scrambled eggs is a GREAT idea! :)

    Happy VGNO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of my boys love to cook.

    I have been having my 12 year old daughter make breakfast or lunch for everyone lately

    I figured couponing, shopping & meal planning are going to be part of her homeschool curriculum.

    Hope you had a Happy VGNO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you are teaching your boys to cook.
    Great job mom!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin